Council Executive Administrator
North Vancouver, BC
No. of Vacancies: 1
Closing Date: October 26, 2017, at 11:30 PM (PST).
- Great opportunity for a Council Executive Administrator to join the Squamish First Nations community
- Take your career to new heights with a dynamic and progressive First Nations government
- Highly competitive salary, plus comprehensive benefits and pension plan
About the Opportunities
Squamish Nation is currently seeking a Council Executive Administrator to join our dynamic and progressive team in North Vancouver.
Reporting to the Manager, Council Administration, this senior level Council Executive Administrator position acts as the administrative lead for Manager, Council Administration and manages all inflowing and outgoing information from her/his office. This position ensures a smooth running office/department by providing senior level support to Council, Council Co-Chairs and the Council Administration Manager. Incumbent has exceptional time management/multi-tasking skills; is highly proactive, takes initiative to anticipate needs and adept at managing projects/duties/tasks to ensure deliverables are met in a professional and timely manner. The incumbent has highly developed writing/technical skills to be able to provide professional level correspondence, reports and documents with minimal supervision and often with restrictive deadlines. She/he upholds the highest level confidentiality and operates at a superior level of interaction, requiring tact, impartiality and diplomacy.
Specifically, your key responsibilities will include:
- Directs information in to and out of the Manager, Council Administration office.
- Delegates, reviews, and manages administrative workflow in department.
- Assists Manager in tracking decisions based council records of Decisions, Isolated Motions, BCRs, etc.
- Responsible for follow up with employees, managers, members, etc as per established process.
- Responsible for coordination, and follow through as required, of projects which directly impact the performance of Council meetings, reports and documentation.
- Ensures issues are handled according to established policy and SN guidelines.
- Acts as back-up to the Manager, Council Administration as required via established process.
- Undertakes special assignments and projects as required.
- Adheres to workplace health & safety policies, safe work practices and procedures.
- Participates as member of the Council Advisory and Support Team and of the larger Service Delivery business unit.
The Ideal Candidates
To be successful in this role, you will have a Bachelor’s Degree or Diploma in Business Admin, Paralegal, Legal Administrative, First Nation Studies or relevant/related field from a recognized post-secondary institution. Plus a minimum of 3 years (with Bachelors) OR 7 years (with Diploma) of directly-related experience in the majority of duties in job description including a senior position as an executive assistant, providing senior level admin support to management / council, boards, project/program management / coordination, working with all levels of an organization, members, etc.
In addition, the ideal candidate will also have:
- Prior working experience dealing with the unique cultural and traditional elements of First Nations Meetings is an asset.
- Knowledge of the Squamish Nation, Beginner Squamish language (Skwxwú7mesh Snichim) proficiency, First Nation governance and aboriginal law issues in Canada are strongly preferred.
- Experience as an advanced user MS Office, the internet, etc. Working experience with a large scale computerized database system. Experience with JD Edwards is an asset.
- Prior experience working with a First Nations Council/Board/organization (particularly Squamish) is preferred.
- Must have a reliable vehicle and current auto insurance & a valid BC Driver’s License Class 4 or 5. Class 7N and Class 7L may be considered or willing to obtain within a set time.
As career progresses, incumbent will be required to successfully complete job-required, short-term upgrading, training and courses relating to executive support, project management, senior administration, etc, as well as broadening their Squamish Nation culture/language knowledge. Successfully completing a Criminal Records Check is also required, as per Squamish Nation policy.
The above requirement is what Squamish Nation is seeking in the ideal incumbent at the time of posting and are subject to change, based on the needs of Squamish Nation.
ABOUT THE REWARDS
In exchange for your hard work and dedication, you will be rewarded with a competitive salary plus a great host of benefits for yourself and your family. Above all, you will have the opportunity to contribute at an exciting time of growth within the community and play a part in employee initiatives, and community building.
If you're looking for a new opportunity to use your experience, consider joining Squamish Nation. Apply online today!
Please note that candidates must apply online by October 26, 2017, at 11:30 PM (PST).