Human Resources Senior Generalist
North Vancouver, BC
PERMANENT FULL-TIME IN NORTH VANCOUVER, BC
CLOSES: DECEMBER 13, 2018 11:30 PM (PST)
- Great opportunity for an experienced HR professional to join the Squamish First Nations community
- Take your career to new heights with a dynamic and progressive First Nations government
- Highly competitive salary, plus comprehensive benefits and pension plan
ABOUT THE SQUAMISH NATION
Squamish Nation consists of 23 villages and is comprised of descendants of the Coast Salish Aboriginal people who live in the present day Greater Vancouver area, Gibson’s Landing, and Squamish River watershed. The Squamish Nation has occupied and governed the territory since beyond recorded history. The Squamish culture is rich and resilient. We continue to practice our customs and traditions, which are strongly interconnected with our traditional territory. Together with our lands, our customs and traditions are the foundations of who we are as Skwxwú7mesh.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Human Resources Generalist to join our team in North Vancouver, BC on a Permanent Full-time basis.
The Senior Human Resources Generalist provides HR advisory/technical support to management & staff. Is well versed in Squamish Nation policy/procedure; using their knowledge of HR governing regulation/legislation will lead/assist with: investigations, employee relations/issues/grievances, day-to-day transactions & the development/communication/presentation of HR policies/processes/programs. She/he also provides support with other HR services including recruitment, OHS, benefits administration & new initiatives. With his/her excellent interpersonal skills, undertakes facilitator/mediator/liaison role between the HR department, staff & leadership. This position assists in driving initiatives/projects towards completion, contributing to a departmental culture of teamwork, optimism & excellence. She/he is a strong writer, with analytical skills & an eye for detail to ensure the accuracy & timeliness of hr information; identifies trends, reporting metrics, providing recommendations & contributing to strategic dialogue. Incumbent uses sound judgment to make decisions, works well independently requiring minimal supervision & also operates at a high level of interaction with employees/management, responding with courtesy, tact & diplomacy.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Leads/assists with investigations, writes summary reports, conducts follow-up, etc.
- Maintains exceptional working knowledge of Nation Employment Policies & relevant employment regulations, providing related support to Human Resources Team, management, employees & others as required.
- Assists management team with caseload, leading or supporting as required.
- Shared responsibility for HRIS maintenance including accuracy of entry, analysis, metrics, employee files & records
- Leads or assists with various HR related functions & initiatives, special projects/research, etc.
- Develops/presents employee/management presentations on variety of hr-related programs, topics, initiatives.
- Attends employee-supervisor meetings, ie discipline, exits/terminations, etc; ensuring compliance, etc.
- Meets with employees/supervisors, mediating as required, per established processes.
- Adheres to workplace health & safety policies, safe work practices & procedures.
- Participates as member of ChenChenStway Human Resources team.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE:
The ideal candidate will also possess:
- Bachelors or Diploma specializing in Human Resources, Business Administration/Management, or related/relevant field from a recognized post-secondary institution.
- A minimum of 3 years (with Bachelors) OR minimum of 7 years (with Diploma) of directly-related experience in the above noted duties including hr administration/coordination, hr generalist or similar experience, leading/conducting investigations, hr policy development & application, regulatory adherence, mediation/facilitation, benefits administration, workplace health & safety investigations, etc.
- May be willing to consider a Certificate in related/relevant field OR completion of HR certificate within set timeframe, plus a minimum of 7 years of above work related experience. As career progresses, incumbent will be required to successfully complete job-related, short-term upgrading/training/courses relating to investigations, mediation/conflict resolution, human rights, legislation, employee counseling, case management; etc; may be required to upgrade in order to obtain CPHR or HR certificate.
- Experience as an intermediate / advance level user of all Microsoft Office applications. Working experience with a large scale computerized database system. Experience with JD Edwards is an asset.
- Previous experience working in a First Nations community (particularly Squamish) is an asset.
- Must have reliable vehicle/insurance, valid BC Driver’s License Class 4 or 5, Class 7N may be considered.
- Travel to Squamish as required, ie 2-3 times per month.
- Must successfully complete Criminal Records Vulnerable Sector Check as per Squamish Nation Policy.
A combination of education and relevant work experience may be considered for above education and experience. The above requirements are what Squamish Nation is seeking in the ideal incumbent at the time of posting and are subject to change, based on the needs of Squamish Nation.