Recreation Bus Driver & Chaperone
No. of Vacancies: 1
Closing Date: Posted until filled
- Great opportunity to help make a difference to the Squamish Nation community!
- To join a dynamic and progressive First Nations government.
- Enjoy a competitive salary, plus comprehensive benefits and pension plan.
About the Squamish Nation
Squamish Nation consists of 23 villages and is comprised of descendants of the Coast Salish Aboriginal people who live in the present day Greater Vancouver area, Gibson’s Landing, and Squamish River watershed. The Squamish Nation has occupied and governed the territory since beyond recorded history. The Squamish culture is rich and resilient. We continue to practice our customs and traditions, which are strongly interconnected with our traditional territory. Together with our lands, our customs and traditions are the foundations of who we are as Skwxwú7mesh.
About the Opportunity
We have a great opportunity for an experienced Recreation Bus Driver & Chaperone to join our dynamic and progressive team in Squamish, BC, in a permanent part-time position.
This position must be professionally prepared as a bus driver and must be able to meet the requirements of the BC Driver’s Licensing agency. The main job responsibilities are: 1) a reliable, courteous and safe passage, 2) an orderly and disciplined bus environment, 3) assists the events crew with facility set-up and tear down, and 4) coordinates fleet maintenance. This position is responsible for reliable transport, to and from recreational activities, social functions, youth field trips, etc; and required to stay onsite with groups, i.e. youth summer fun program to supervise/chaperone, etc. Ensures all Squamish Valley fleet vehicles are kept in safe and working conditions, via established process. This position may also drive for Education / other teams, based on service delivery needs. The incumbent is sensitive and mature with the ability to relate well to children, youth and elders.
Other responsibilities include:
- Transports passengers safely.
- Performs / completes pre and post trip duties as per ICBC regulations / established process.
- Performs minor routine engine and body maintenance on vehicle(s) driven.
- Liaises and interacts with guests/members during events.
- Provides support with children/youth/attendees on outings.
- Ensure SV fleet vehicles are maintained/serviced on a regular basis as per schedule, ie regular maintenance, warranty schedule, etc.
- Communicates maintenance/service requirements to other staff/drivers.
- Presents a responsible and professional image.
- Reports to Supervisor.Sets up and tears down for events as required and when scheduling permits.
- Adheres to workplace health & safety policies, safe work practices and procedures.
- Participates as a member of the Recreation & Members with Disabilities and Squamish Valley Operations Teams.
The Ideal Candidate
For the Recreation Bus Driver & Chaperone role, we are seeking a candidate with a Completion of Grade 10 plus valid BC Unrestricted Class 2 driver’s license. Plus a minimum of 3 years work experience in related/relevant driving position. May be willing to consider restricted Class 2/ Class 4 driver’s license, where incumbent will be required to obtain Unrestricted Class 2 within a set timeframe.
In addition, the ideal candidate will also have:
- Must provide recent Drivers Abstract.
- Special chaperone / responsible adult training will be required as career progresses.
- Previous experience working in a First Nations Community (particularly Squamish) is preferred.
- Valid Emergency First Aid & CPR Certificate or must obtain within a set timeframe.
- Must be able to work irregular shifts including evenings and weekends as required.
As career progresses, incumbent will be required to successfully complete job-required, short-term upgrading, training and courses relating to bus maintenance, ICBC regulations, safe transportation, fleet coordination, dealing with children, etc. The successful candidate must also successfully complete a Criminal Records Vulnerable Sector Check. as per Squamish Nation Policy. The above requirement is what Squamish Nation is seeking in the ideal incumbent at the time of posting and are subject to change, based on the needs of Squamish Nation.
If you are a skilled communicator and a friendly and dedicated professional, this could be an ideal opportunity for you.
ABOUT THE REWARDS
In exchange for your hard work and dedication, you will be rewarded with a competitive salary plus a great host of benefits for yourself and your family. Above all, you will have the opportunity to contribute at an exciting time of growth within the community, and play a part in employee initiatives, environmental protection activities, and community building.
If you're looking for a new opportunity to use your experience, consider joining Squamish Nation. Apply online today!