Medical Office Assistant
REPOSTED: PERMANENT FULL-TIME IN WEST VANCOUVER
CLOSES: Until Filled
- Help make a difference to the Squamish First Nations community.
- Great opportunity for an experienced professional to join our Yúustway Health, Wellness & Recreation Department
- Enjoy a competitive salary, plus comprehensive benefits and pension plan.
ABOUT THE SQUAMISH NATION
Squamish Nation consists of 23 villages and is comprised of descendants of the Coast Salish Aboriginal people who live in the present day Greater Vancouver area, Gibson’s Landing, and Squamish River watershed. The Squamish Nation has occupied and governed the territory since beyond recorded history. The Squamish Nation's culture is rich and resilient. We continue to practice our customs and traditions, which are strongly interconnected with our traditional territory. Together with our lands, our customs and traditions are the foundations of who we are as Skwxwú7mesh.
About the Opportunity
We have a great opportunity for an experienced Medical Office Assistant to join our dynamic and progressive team in West Vancouver.
Under the direction of the Director, the Medical Office Assistant (MOA) provides medical and administrative support to the Primary Care team, supporting the successful operation of the clinic. The incumbent is responsible for patient medical files and collection of personal and health related patient information, scheduling patients’ and prepares paperwork for patient appointments and enters into the system and follows up as required. Provides forms/paperwork to be filled out & completed by the patient. Processes patient’s documents, laboratory tests, etc & files results accordingly in patients’ files. Responsible for ensuring patient files are kept up to date for easy retrieval. Makes arrangements for patients’ scheduled tests, consultation and referrals. Performs administrative tasks and is responsible for reviewing, preparing and submitting Medical Service Plan (MSP) billings. Protects patients’ files ensuring confidentiality of clients personal information. The position uses superior technical knowledge to run efficient Kal’númet medical office. She/he has exceptional time management, multi-tasking, customer service skills; while operating at a high level of people interaction and must be able to respond with courtesy, tact and diplomacy.
Other responsibilities include:
- Debriefs daily or as required with Healthcare Providers ie. GPs, Nurse Practitioner, RNs, etc.
- Schedules and coordinates appointments for patients.
- Provides quality and confidential customer service to patients.
- Performs medical clinic duties & is responsible for all clinic billings including Medical Service Plan (MSP).
- Performs general medical administrative duties.
- Adheres to workplace health & safety policies, safe work practices and procedures.
- Participates as a member of the Yúustway Health, Wellness & Recreation Teams.
The Ideal Candidate
In addition the ideal candidate will also have:
- Medical Office Assistant Certificate or Diploma or related/relevant field from a recognized post-secondary institution.
- Minimum of 3 years (with Diploma) OR 5 years (with Certificate) years of directly-related experience in the majority of duties listed in job description including medical office assistant, medical record keeping, medical billing, etc.
- Experience in a Family Practice office is an asset.
- Knowledge of Medical Service Plan (MSP) billing is an asset. If does not possess must be willing to complete training within set timeframe.
- Experience as an intermediate to advanced level user of the Internet, Microsoft Office Applications i.e. Outlook, Word, Excel, EMR (ie Oscar), Medical Electronic Records, etc.
- Working experience with a large scale computerized database system. Experience with JD Edwards and Mustimuhw cEMR is an asset.
- Previous experience working in a First Nation’s community (particularly Squamish) is preferred.
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends as required.
- Must be able to travel to Squamish regularly, approx. 1-2 days per week as required.
- Must have a valid BC driver’s license class 4 or 5.
- Must have a reliable vehicle and current auto insurance.
As career progresses, incumbent will be required to successfully complete job-required, short-term upgrading, training and courses relating to medical billings, patient services, electronic medical records, etc. Successful completion a Vulnerable sector Criminal Record Check is also required, as per Squamish Nation policy.
The above requirements are what Squamish Nation is seeking in the ideal incumbent at the time of posting and are subject to change, based on the needs of Squamish Nation.
Salary: $39,995 to $47,053, plus a comprehensive benefits package.
If you're looking for a new opportunity to use your experience , please apply online today!
Please note that candidates must apply online