Recreation Program Coordinator & Facilitator
PERMANENT PART-TIME POSITION - BASED ON AVAILABLE FUNDING IN SQUAMISH VALLEY
- Great opportunity to join the Squamish First Nations community
Take your career to new heights with a dynamic and progressive First Nations government
ABOUT THE SQUAMISH NATION
Squamish Nation consists of 23 villages and is comprised of descendants of the Coast Salish Aboriginal people who live in the present day Greater Vancouver area, Gibson’s Landing, and Squamish River watershed. The Squamish Nation has occupied and governed the territory since beyond recorded history. The Squamish Nation's culture is rich and resilient. We continue to practice our customs and traditions, which are strongly interconnected with our traditional territory. Together with our lands, our customs and traditions are the foundations of who we are as Skwxwú7mesh.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Recreation Program Coordinator & Facilitator to join our Squamish Valley Operations team in Squamish.
Reporting to the Manager, Recreation & Members with Disabilities, this position participates as a part of the indoor/outdoor programs team in the Squamish Valley. The incumbent instructs and coordinates classes and in conjunction with the recreation team is responsible for design, coordination and delivery on a full year of recreational events and programs which encompasses a broad range of age groups and capabilities. The incumbent acts as a role model to Squamish Nation children and adults.
Other responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Implements programs utilizing recreation program planning procedures.
- Leads, supervises or instructs activities and classes and supports children and youth.
- Carries out shifts at Youth/Teen Center.
- Participates in production of event flyers and other promotional material.
- Promotes Squamish Valley indoor/outdoor recreation programs and activities.
- Liaises with internal and external stakeholders while maintaining effective relationships with government agencies, professionals and Health, Wellness & Recreation team members.
- Coordinates seasonal events with team for the community.
- Adheres to workplace health & safety policies, safe work practices and procedures.
- Participates as a member of the Squamish Valley, Recreation & Members with Disabilities and Squamish Valley Operations Teams.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
In addition, the ideal candidate will also have:
- Certificate in Recreation Management, Outdoor Programs Management or a related/relevant field from a recognized post-secondary institution OR may consider Provincial Instructors Diploma.
- 2 - 3 years of directly related experience in the majority of specialties listed in this job description including knowledge, skills and abilities relating to Squamish Nation children and adults, supervisory skills and recreational program development.
- As career progresses, incumbent will be required to successfully complete job-required, short-term upgrading, training and courses relating to outdoor programs, indoor recreation programs, supervisory skills, life skills, and event co-ordination, etc.
- Experience as an intermediate user of the Internet and Microsoft Office Applications – Outlook (Email), Word, Excel, etc.
- Previous experience working for a First Nations Community (particularly Squamish Nation) is preferred.
- Must have a valid First Aid & CPR Certificate, or willing to obtain within a set timeframe.
- Must have a valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License.
- Must have a valid Class 4 Driver’s License or willing to obtain within a set timeframe.
- Reliable vehicle and current auto insurance is preferred.
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends as required.
- Must successfully complete Criminal Records Check with Vulnerable Sector Search as per Squamish Nation Policy.
- May be willing to consider completion of Grade 12 in a relevant/related field plus 4 – 5 years of directly-related experience.
The above requirements are what Squamish Nation is seeking in the ideal incumbent at the time of posting and are subject to change, based on the needs of Squamish Nation.
Salary: $39,995 to $47,053 annually, plus a comprehensive benefits package.
If you're looking for a new opportunity to use your experience, consider joining Squamish Nation. Apply online today!