PERMANENT FULL-TIME POSITION IN NORTH VANCOUVER
- Great opportunity to join the Squamish First Nations community
Take your career to new heights with a dynamic and progressive First Nations government
ABOUT THE SQUAMISH NATION
Squamish Nation consists of 23 villages and is comprised of descendants of the Coast Salish Aboriginal people who live in the present day Greater Vancouver area, Gibson’s Landing, and Squamish River watershed. The Squamish Nation has occupied and governed the territory since beyond recorded history. The Squamish Nation's culture is rich and resilient. We continue to practice our customs and traditions, which are strongly interconnected with our traditional territory. Together with our lands, our customs and traditions are the foundations of who we are as Skwxwú7mesh.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
We currently have an exciting opportunity for an Accountant to join our team in North Vancouver.
Reporting to the Accounting Manager, Accounting - Revenue & Taxation the primary responsibility of this position is to perform the accounting function for the Nation’s subsidiaries. Under the direction of the manager and input from the department head, the incumbent assumes responsibility for the daily upload of business activity, performs monthly and year-end accounting duties for the businesses and ensures that monthly financial reports are accurate and timely. With a professional accounting designation (CA, CGA, CMA), the incumbent is fully GAAP knowledgeable.
Other responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Works with appropriate on site staff of Squamish Nation businesses, subsidiaries and other related corporate entitles to ensure daily business is uploaded to SN’s accounting system and resolves any discrepancies. Oversees the preparation of daily cash deposits, prepares first draft of financial statements, including notes/schedules and coordinates the preparation of documents for auditors.
- Reconciles accounts, prepares year-end working papers and coordinates corporate tax returns as directed. Works with team to process community and Squamish Nation member tax returns, prepares ad-hoc financial reports for departments as requested and prepares monthly financial reports for funders. Completes journal entries relevant to scope of work.
- Ensures subsidiary accounting staff perform month-end duties, accounting managers review financial statements before distribution, all subsidiary financial reports are balanced with each other and resolves any issues. Prepares monthly financial statements for distribution to Directors and Council.
- Enters subsidiaries budgets into Squamish Nation’s accounting system and completes budget amendments.
- Adheres to workplace health & safety policies, safe work practices and procedures.
- Participates as member of the Revenue & Taxation and Finance team.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
In addition, the ideal candidate will also have:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Commerce, Business Administration, Human Resources or related/relevant field from a recognized post-secondary institution plus a Professional Accounting Designation (CA, CGA or CMA).
- 4 - 5 years of directly-related experience in the majority of specialties listed in job description including year-end accounting, involvement in audits, budgeting, etc.
- As career progresses, incumbent will be required to successfully complete job-required, short-term upgrading, training and courses relating to accounting, audits, accounting software, and other training / courses relating to position, etc.
- Exposure to a First Nations accounting environment is an asset.
- Experience as an advanced user of the Internet, Microsoft Office Applications and with Cantax (or other tax preparation software).
- Working experience with a large scale computerized accounting system. Experience with JD Edwards is an asset.
- Previous experience working in a First Nations Community (particularly Squamish) is an asset.
- Must have a valid BC Driver’s License Class 4 or 5. Class 7N may be considered.
- Must have a reliable vehicle and current auto insurance.
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends as required.
- Must successfully complete Criminal Record Check as per Squamish Nation Policy.
- May be willing to consider a Diploma in a relevant/related field plus a Professional Accounting Designation with 6 - 7 years of directly-related experience.
The above requirements are what Squamish Nation is seeking in the ideal incumbent at the time of posting and are subject to change, based on the needs of Squamish Nation.
Salary: $49,494 to $58,228 annually, plus a comprehensive benefits package.
If you're looking for a new opportunity to use your experience, consider joining Squamish Nation. Apply online today!