North Vancouver, BC
Posting Closes: Until Position is Filled
About the Squamish Nation
The Squamish Nation is comprised of descendants of the Coast Salish Aboriginal people who live in the present day Greater Vancouver area, Gibson’s landing, and Squamish River watershed. The Squamish Nation has occupied and governed the territory since beyond recorded history.
About the Opportunity
We have a great opportunity for an experienced Language Teacher to join our dynamic and progressive team in both North Vancouver location.
Reporting to management, this Language Teacher position requires a proficient command of Squamish language as judged by Elders and is responsible for a full-time teaching schedule. The incumbent travels to public schools and other learning institutions to teach language classes. In addition to teaching duties, he/she works with our language team to achieve division goals (e.g. develop Squamish language proficiency in the community) and to complete department tasks (maintain library). The incumbent operates at a high level of interaction with students, responding with courtesy, tact and diplomacy.
Other responsibilities include:
- Maintains a full-time teaching schedule.
- Evaluates students progress and provides reports.
- Establish and adheres to timetable.
- Prepares teaching aids for use by team.
- Follows professional development plan.
- Mentors staff as per established process.
- Adheres to workplace health & safety policies, safe work practices and procedures.
- Participates as a member of the Language & Culture, and EET.
The Ideal Candidate
To be successful in this role, you will have a Diploma/Bachelor’s Degree in Education, First Nations Teaching Studies or relevant / related field from a recognized post-secondary institution. Also required are 5 years or more of directly-related experience in the majority of duties listed in job description including acting as a teacher’s aide or substitute teacher for Squamish language classes (students - grades K to 12).
In addition, the ideal candidate will also have:
- Have Level 1 Squamish language proficiency, (beginner level - words & phrases – oral and written).
- Be an intermediate level user of the MS Office Applications, the internet, etc.
- Have working experience with a large scale computerized database system. Experience with JD Edwards is an asset.
- Have previous experience working in a First Nations Community (particularly Squamish) is an asset.
- Have a valid BC Driver’s License Class 5. Class 7N may be considered. (Required)
- Have a reliable vehicle and current auto insurance. (Required)
As career progresses, the incumbent may be required to upgrade in order to obtain a BC Teaching Certificate, Classroom Management Certificate or Instructors Diploma. Incumbent will be required to successfully complete job-required, short-term upgrading, training and courses relating to classroom management, Squamish language, First Nation’s education studies, curriculum development, language immersion or similar. Successfully completion a Criminal Records Vulnerable Sector Check is also required, as per Squamish Nation policy.
If you are a passionate about skilled communicator and a friendly and dedicated professional this could be an ideal opportunity for you, candidates must apply online Posting Closes: Until Position is Filled.
The above requirements are what Squamish Nation is seeking in the ideal incumbent at the time of posting and are subject to change, based on the needs of Squamish Nation.