Field Supervisor – Parks Services
- Assist in leading the delivery of CN’s Open Space Maintenance Program.
- 2 x permanent, full-time role – 38 hours per week.
- Flexible work arrangements available.
Thriving and rapidly transforming, Newcastle is New South Wales’ second largest city and is located 160km north of Sydney. It offers the perfect lifestyle and career environment.
City of Newcastle (CN) is seeking experienced horticultural/greenkeeping professionals to join our Parks & Recreation team, to work closely with Coordinators and Supervisors in leading the delivery of CN’s Open Space Maintenance Program and improvements across CN’s sports fields, parks and reserves.
As a Field Supervisor, you’ll demonstrate sound technical knowledge on horticultural and turf management practices and will promote a positive team environment ensuring efficient and quality service delivery, while minimizing inconvenience to public amenity during the execution of works.
Key responsibilities will include leading the team in turf maintenance, horticultural maintenance and minor landscape works; supervising and training employees, day labour, contractors and volunteers in all aspects of open space maintenance; leading team meetings and tool box talks; reporting; and planning and scheduling works.
At CN our people are valued and have access to a range of benefits that help balance life at work and at home. These include flexible working arrangements, professional development opportunities and health and wellbeing programs.
The essentials you’ll need:
- Tertiary qualifications in horticulture, greenkeeping or natural resource management.
- Class C Driver’s Licence with the willingness to obtain a MR / HR Licence (manual).
- Demonstrated ability to design, develop, plan and implement park maintenance programs and amend to meet team and community objectives.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively (both written and verbal) with a wide range of stake holders. This includes the general public, contractors and other CN staff using interpersonal, negotiation, mediation skills and the ability to complete written forms and maintain quality records.
- Demonstrated knowledge of all relevant WHS and EEO requirements.
- Demonstrated ability to train staff in all facets of Parks and Recreation grounds maintenance.
- Demonstrated ability to estimate projects using first principles of grounds maintenance, minor projects and landscape works.
- Proven ability to build and maintain team motivation to ensure efficiency and harmony in the team.
- Competent in the use of all park related plant/machinery and undertake minor maintenance.
- Sound competency in the use of personal computers, including Microsoft programs, Outlook and smart phones.
- Construction Induction Card and Implement Traffic Control Card or willingness to obtain.
- Sound knowledge in the application and safe use of chemicals and have a current Chemcert III qualification.
Other valuable skills you may have:
- Tertiary qualifications in leadership and management and/or training and assessment.
- Demonstrated competence in operating computer software programs e.g. Finance One, ECM, Intranet.
Sound like the perfect job for you? Apply Now!
City of Newcastle proudly promotes the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity and fosters a culture of diversity to represent the community of our Local Government Area.
All candidates will be assessed against the selection criteria outlined in the position description. Suitable candidates may be placed on an eligibility list for future identical positions for a period of 12 months.
You must have the right to live and work in Australia to apply for this job.
To view the full position description please click here.
Application Closing Date: Sunday, 31 January 2021.
Remuneration: $65,891.73 + 9.5% Superannuation per annum for a 38-hour week.
Contact: Michelle Townsend – Park Team Coordinator – 0478475673.